Tuesday 1 October 2013

Band Profile: The Hexbombs (Kalamazoo, MI)

I was recently sent three releases by The Hex Bombs, from Kalamazoo, Michigan, to review and I thought they would be a great band to start off a series of profile's I've been planning to do. In these profiles I'll go through a bit of a band's history and their discography in order to give you a full picture of the band instead of a lone review of a single release. I figure this will be a good way to introduce people to a band they may have otherwise known nothing about and give them a broader sense of what any given group may be about instead of just my own thoughts on a sole record or CD.


Kalamazoo, Michigan's The Hex Bombs

Founded: 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Label: East Grand Records


Members

Mike Mann - Vocals
Jake Carrack - Lead guitar, Vocals
Darryl Arning - Bass
Nathan Garman - Guitar, Vocals
Greg "Vinny" Stevenson - Drums, Vocals

Formed in 2006, The Hex Bombs describe themselves as "a unique brand of proletariat punk with a classic punk rock revival attitude." The band's releases include two albums, an EP and a 7" single while their influences are listed as The Ramones, Dropkick Murphys, Against Me!, Bouncing Souls, Social Distortion, Hot Water Music, The Misfits, and Street Dogs. Unfortunately I do not have their first album, entitled "We Are Rock and Roll" so I will move on to their second album as my starting point for this profile.

"Get Back To Work" - 2011
"Get Back To Work" is 9 songs in total, clocking in at just under 25 minutes. The album kicks off with an infectious guitar riff on the song Passion & Pride, setting the bar high for the reast of the album. Immediately you get a sense for the band as the listener is introduced to their catchy guitar leads, their well crafted choruses, andtheir  lyrics for the common man (or woman). Though the songwriting felt a little repetitive at times, the album overall is a strong street punk effort comparable to the Street Dogs and early Dropkick Murphys. If I had to pick a few stand out tracks they would be the album opener, Passion & Pride; the catchy sing-along anthem, The Hammer; and Stand Up And Fight, which features some of my favourite lyrics on the album.



"The Hexbombs" EP - 2012
The second release I was given, 2012's "Hex Bombs EP", starts off strong once again and it sees the band building on the potential they established with their previous album. While it's not a groundbreaking idea for a punk band to sing about unity there is an undeniable quality to the first track, aptly called United, which boasts a great chorus and guitar work once again. This trend continues on the tracks Your Generation and Midwest Punk. The latter being a raucous track speaking to their midwest roots, and though I've never been there myself I can't get enough of this song as tnere is something I love when bands sing about their homes. The EP ends with a pleasant surprise in the acoustic number Mad Jack Churchill. Having stumbled onto Mad Jack's story a number of years ago it was a nice to see a song written about him (though to be honest I'm a little jealous they beat me to it!). The song in itself is a nice break from the fast paced punk rock of the 3 previous tracks though it does not lose the trademark anthemic quality that the band seems to bring to every song. If you haven't heard about Mad Jack Churchill then I suggest you read up on him. The guy was seriously a consumate bad ass, registering the only kill with a long bow in WW2 and retiring to become a surfer in Australia with a whole lot of other craziness in between.

"None Shall Be Forgotten" - 2013
 Fnally, the last release I was given to review was the 7" single "None Shall Be Forgotten". The title track, featuring Mike McColgan of the Street Dogs, was actually my first exposure to the band and the song that turned me into a fan. It is on this single, in my opinion, that we truly see the band at their best. None Shall Be Forgotten is a song for veterans, singing of their struggles and sacrifices as well our need to remember them for it. In a time where many veterans can't put a meal on their table or a roof over their head this song really hammers the harsh reality of the situation home. On one level it is a great punk rock tune and on another level it is a haunting reminder to the oft forgot sacrifice of America's veterans. The b-side to the single, Destination, USA, is an in your face indictment of America's current state. Lines like "First in guns, last in science, we can't read but we love our violence" succinctly sumps up the band's opinion on their country's current priorities. While it's only two songs, I'd have to say they're two of my favourites by the band and two of the best punk rock songs I've heard all year. This single is definitely a good sign of things to come as the band continues on.

You can listen to the title track from the single here...

 
In closing, you may have noticed the common theme of anthemic choruses and catchy guitar riffs. I'd have to say on first impressions of the band that those two qualities are definitely their trademark. Coupled with their lyrics and a solid rhythm section to hold it all down, the band has the total package of in your face punk rock that the world is sorely in need of. To new fans I recommend starting with their newer EP or 7" single to truly get the band at their best before delving into their back catalogue.

THE HEX BOMBS ON FACEBOOK

 EAST GRAND RECORDS WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment